loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

West Side of the Grand River

West Side of the Grand River

Louis C. Towner - 1911

The tall building on the left just in front the St. Mary's Church steeple is the Belknap Wagon Works; to the right the building in front of the two steeples is the #3 Engine House; the steeples belong to the German Methodist Episcopal Church at Scribner and 2nd and the 2nd St. Methodist Episcopal Church at Turner and 2nd; and at the far right part of St. Adalbert's Basicillica is visible. Between the river bank and the river a portion of the west-side canal can be seen. In the lower left corner of the photo a line of men are stretched across First St. They are waiting in line to collect their strike pay at the Germania Hall on the corner of Front St. and First.


Full Details

TitleWest Side of the Grand River
CreatorLouis C. Towner

Title by cataloger. This photo was taken in May during the 1911 furniture strike.

Location In PhotoGrand Rapids
CollectionSmoke Dept. Coll. neg. #4097. Community Archives and Research Center (CARC)

Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Community Archives and Research Center (CARC), Grand Rapids, MI

InstitutionCommunity Archives and Research Center
Physical Storage LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC