West Side of the Grand River
Louis C. Towner - 1911
The tall building on the left just in front the St. Mary's Church steeple is the Belknap Wagon Works; to the right the building in front of the two steeples is the #3 Engine House; the steeples belong to the German Methodist Episcopal Church at Scribner and 2nd and the 2nd St. Methodist Episcopal Church at Turner and 2nd; and at the far right part of St. Adalbert's Basicillica is visible. Between the river bank and the river a portion of the west-side canal can be seen. In the lower left corner of the photo a line of men are stretched across First St. They are waiting in line to collect their strike pay at the Germania Hall on the corner of Front St. and First.
|Title||West Side of the Grand River|
|Creator||Louis C. Towner|
Title by cataloger. This photo was taken in May during the 1911 furniture strike.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids|
|Collection||Smoke Dept. Coll. neg. #4097. Community Archives and Research Center (CARC)|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Community Archives and Research Center (CARC), Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Community Archives and Research Center|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|