Civil War Monument
The Civil War monument stands in a small triangular park between Monroe and Fulton and bordered on the west by Division Ave. Today the Monroe St. side has been converted to a walking area. A Union soldier stands at the top with his rifle and "Petersburg" is written at his feet. Cherubs on each side are part of a fountain and the water flows into a pool at the base. The plaque states that it was erected in 1885 to honor the fallen soldiers from Kent County. In the background are stores along upper Monroe Ave. where shoppers can be seen strolling and resting on benches. At the far left stands a horse and buggy.
|Title||Civil War Monument|
Title from collection. The glass negative has been broken in several places and the lower left corner is missing.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids|
|Collection||Coll.. #122, Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Grand Rapids Public Library|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|