loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

Wenham Building, Division Ave.

Wenham Building, Division Ave.


The Wenham Bldg., pictured on the right, at the NE corner of Division and Monroe, is one of the few early buildings that still stands in its recognizable form. The Coffee Ranch sign is visible mid-block, just beyond is Grinnell Bros. Music House, and at the corner stands the Majestic Theater, it's marquee appears to read "Gloria Swanson in Sadie Thompson," thus dating the photo to 1928-29. The large building across Library St. from the Majestic is the Murray Bldg. Several cars of the time period are on the street. An "X" in the center of the photo marks the location of a shop owned by the contributor's grandmother.


Full Details

TitleWenham Building, Division Ave.

Edith Ray Barton, grandmother of contibutor Jane Holton, had a business, Ye Blue Bird Shoppe, in the Wenham Bldg. where she sold china, silver, cards, lamps, and taught china painting.  Later she established a dinner house in the lower story of the Wenham Bldg. called The Nest. Her grandfather, Orville Moon Barton, a dentist, had offices in the Wenham Bldg, and previously had been located in the Porter Block at the SW corner of Division and Monroe.

Location In PhotoGrand Rapids, MI
CollectionJane Holton
Locationlocation on map

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC