Grand Rapids Hydraulic Company Pumping Station
The Grand Rapids Hydraulic Company, a private water company, built a pumping station on Canal Street (Monroe) near Coldbrook Creek in 1886. It appears to have been constructed with river limestone, and a tall smokestack stands behind the building. The Station was destroyed by fire in February of 1907.
|Title||Grand Rapids Hydraulic Company Pumping Station|
The Grand Rapids Hydraulic Co., which began providing water to local customers in 1848, first tapped the spring that flowed down Fountain Street. They provided spring water suitable for drinking as opposed to Grand River water, which became contaminated once the riverbanks were lined with industries. The company's 100 ft. tall standpipe stood at the top of the hill at Newberry and Clinton streets.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|