At first the Widdicomb Block was a story and a half structure facing Monroe at the corner of Waterloo (later Market). Wooden additions were made on both streets and on top until it became a four-story building.
Image from a publication by the Kent Furniture Company, Grand Rapids, 1891.
In 1834 Louis Campau built a house at the corner of Waterloo (later Market) and Monroe. His family occupied it until 1838. Successive landlords operated a boarding house and various hotels, including the Rathbun House. The house was closed in 1885, and the property became the site of the Widdicomb Block.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids MI|
|Collection||Andrew A. Davis|