Steam Fire Engine No. 8
With snow on the ground Steamer No. 8, identified by the 8 near the rear, was one of the fire departments fighting a fire at the Burdick House, an hotel in Kalamazoo, on December 9, 1909. The steamer belonged Engine Company #8 of the Grand Rapids Fire Department, located at the corner of Jefferson St. (now Lexington) and Veto on the West Side. Three observers, including two youngsters, stand in the foreground. The Kalamazoo Gazette reported that the temperature that night was near zero.
|Title||Steam Fire Engine No. 8|
Thank you to retired Grand Rapids firefighter, Captain Robert Imhoff who supplied the following information. The Kalamazoo Fire Chief called for help to fight a fire at the Burdick House on December 9, 1909. Grand Rapids probably sent the entire Engine Company #8 (Steamer, Hose Cart, Horses, and about 12 men) to the fire by rail. Battle Creek responded to the fire, also with a steamer.
The station at Lexington and Veto, built in 1897, was vacated September 8, 1966 when Engine and Truck Company #3 left there to go to the newly constructed Engine House #3 at 500 Bridge St. NW.
Engine Company #8 had left their station to occupy the Walker Fire Station at Covell and Leonard, June 4, 1961, after the City of Grand Rapids had annexed that area. That’s when Company #3’s machines occupied Station #8 at Lexington and Veto, as their station on Front and Second NW was torn down when construction began on US131
|Location In Photo||Kalamazoo MI|
|Collection||Coll. #54-8-10, History & Special Collections Dept.|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids Public Library, Main Branch|