Street Lighting in 1928
Workmen install a new pole for street lighting on South Division between Fulton and Cherry. A large truck with lifting equipment raises the pole into position and two jacks are under the rear of the truck to keep it from tipping. The older pole, still in place, has a center globe with two globes below, but two on the right appear to be missing. Some of the sidewalk area around the base of the old light pole has been removed, and the base of a another pole is to the left of it. Six of the crew stop work to pose for a picture, and the employee from the market observes the process as does a young woman dressed in a middy blouse sitting in the second floor window. Another woman stands outside the door of the Parisian Dye House, and a man a little to the right, just under the Reed-Tandler sign, also watches. The building housing the meat market and Dye House has awnings over each shop. Streetcar tracks run down the middle of the road, and the cable can be seen in the upper right corner.
|Title||Street Lighting in 1928|
Title by cataloger. Possibly the market is Ryskamp Bros. Market & Meats. Reed-Tandler Co.,listed in the City Directory as commercial photographers, artists, and engravers, was probably located on the second floor of the building where the young woman can be seen in the window. The Parisian Cleaners and Dyers moved to Madison Ave. shortly after this photo was taken.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Collection||003593, Traffic Safety, Street Lighting Division, Community Archives and Research Center (CARC)|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Community Archives and Research Center (CARC), Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Community Archives and Research Center (CARC)|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|