The Ohio House, a brick building, is being cleaned by two men standing on a movable scaffolding that is attached to the roof by large hooks. The accumulation of grime is visible by comparing the cleaned section to the rest of the wall. A large stream of water from a hose flows into the brick-paved street as a young boy watches from the sidewalk. A large sign offers Camp Equipment for Sale or Rent, and a notice just above the top of the truck claims Tents to Rent. Behind the scaffolding is a sign for the Grand Rapids Furnace & Heating Co. Telephone lines can be seen in the upper half of the photo.
Title by cataloger. Ohio House was founded ca 1858 by Valentine Richter and located at 182 Canal St. This building is located at Canal and Hastings, the one mentioned in the advertisement. The name of Canal St. was later changed to Monroe Ave., and in 1912 the city's street numbering system was changed so at that time the address became 500-504 Monroe NW. The date 1892 is visible on the building just under the roof line, and other photos show that the date 1869 appears on the left side. It is possible that 1892 represents the date the current building was constructed.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Collection||Grand Rapids History and Special Collections, Photograph Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids Public Library, Main Branch|