Lower Monroe Looking East
Schuyler C. Baldwin - 1874
The Spring and Avery building, at the far right, was new in 1874. A building similar in style stands next to it on the east, and the next building, lighter in color, is the Rathbun Hotel. Several horse drawn carriages are parked at the side of the road, and a horse drawn streetcar, heading toward Canal St. is in the lower left.
|Title||Lower Monroe Looking East|
|Creator||Schuyler C. Baldwin|
Title by cataloger. The photo is dated by the straightening of Monroe St. at the entrance to Canal St., which was done in 1873. (a photo at the right in Related Items shows the area before the intersection was straightened.) The Spring and Avery Building was constructed immediately after the former buildings were demolished. You can identify the area by the new boardwalk on the right that is lighter in color. The site occupied by the two buildings in the upper center left later became the site of the Grand Rapids National City Bank, and later by the McKay Tower.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids|
|Collection||Thomas R. Dilley|