loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

The Luce Block

The Luce Block

Schuyler C. Baldwin - 1872 ca.

The four-story brick building fronts on Monroe at the SW corner of Justice, the portion of street visible at the left (now Ottawa Ave.) Signs on the front the the building advertise the various tenants such as "Foster Brothers, Great New York City Stores" and the "Commercial College." The street level shops display their wares on the sidewalk in front of the various businesses. Originally the fourth floor was used as an assembly hall. A horse and cart are on the far right and a gas street light is on the corner.


Full Details

TitleThe Luce Block
CreatorSchuyler C. Baldwin
Date1872 ca.

Title by cataloger.
Ransom C. Luce was the original owner of the block. In the middle of the night, July 18, 1901, the building collapsed during a renovation by the Friedman Store. A fire followed started either from electrical wires, broken gas main or both. The Grand Rapids Art Museum is currently located at the corner. Earlier, Herpolsheimer's Dept. Store occupied the corner; Wurzburg's Dept. Store took over the building in 1951 after Herpolsheimer's moved to the SW corner Monroe and Division in 1949.
From a collection of photographs depicting Grand Rapids around 1872, previously owned by Charles E. Belknap, author of "The Yesterdays of Grand Rapids" and longtime resident of the city.

Location In PhotoGrand Rapids, MI
CollectionThomas R. Dilley

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC