Fulton Street Park
Schuyler Colfax Baldwin - 1880s
The view looks northeast across the park from the southwest corner of E. Fulton and Sheldon Ave. In the foreground is one of the horse drawn streetcars that came into service in the 1860s. The picket fence than encircles the park was installed by Thomas D. Gilbert, who also planted the trees. The bandstand in the center of the park was later replaced by an ornate cast-iron fountain. First (Park) Congregational Church, built in 1868, sits on the east side of the park. Also built is 1868 was the Italianate High School, seen in the upper left, that replaced the East Side Union School built in 1848.
|Title||Fulton Street Park|
|Creator||Schuyler Colfax Baldwin|
Title from photograph. The Park was originally known as Court House Square as it was established in 1833 as the location of the court for Kent County. Also referred to as the Public Square, by 1871 the name had been changed to Fulton St. Park, and today it is known as Veteran's Park. From a collection of photographs depicting Grand Rapids around 1872, previously owned by Charles E. Belknap, author of "The Yesterdays of Grand Rapids" and longtime resident of the city.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids MI|
|Collection||Thomas R. Dilley|