Grab Corners, 1873
The building at center left is Sweet's Hotel, at the corner of Canal and Pearl Sts., and also where the First National Bank was housed. The building across Canal at the NE corner was the Lovett Block. Monroe Ave., in the foreground, made a sharp right turn and then a sharp left turn to meet Canal St. at the corner of the hotel. The buildings that occupied the area around which Monroe had to make two sharp turns, have been demolished leaving a large open space at Grab Corners, later named Campau Square. The change was made to straighten the curve, and to raise Canal St. by four feet. Campau Square remains and open area today. Teams of horses and wagons line both sides of Monroe Ave. A striped barber pole is at the center.
|Title||Grab Corners, 1873|
Title from collection. The same barber pole appears in the photo at the right under Related Items where a comparison of the area can be made before Monroe St. was straightened and the area opened up. The site of Sweet's Hotel was later occupied by the Pantlind Hotel, and the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Collection||Coll. 18, #220, History & Special Collections Dept., Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI.
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI.|