First Pearl Street Bridge
Godfrey J. Anderson - 1874
The first Pearl St. Bridge was completed in November of 1858 at a cost of $16,000. The photo looks east, showing the eastern portion of the bridge from the island across the steamboat channel to the foot of Pearl Street, which connected with the main structure by a high embankment across the island. The main part of the bridge was of "double Burr Truss" work, 620 feet long, resting on massive stone abutments and five stone piers. The bridge served those who crossed the river until 1886 when a new bridge was put in place. The Michigan Iron Works owned by James G. McElwee is clearly visible on the right. To its right, at the edge of the photo, is the Kent County Jail. The number of logs in the river remain from cut timber being sent downriver to Grand Haven; the method used by lumbermen to transport the results of their logging operations.
|Title||First Pearl Street Bridge|
|Creator||Godfrey J. Anderson|
Title by Institution.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids MI|
|Collection||Coll. #33-10-12, H-136, History & Special Collections Dept.|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|