Overhead View of George Welsh Civic Auditorium
Jack Ropoleski - 2004
The view of the front portion of the Civic Auditorium was taken from an upper floor of the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, a portion of which is at the right side of the photo. The green roof and roof garden, seen below, are part of the former Exhibitors Building, now part of the hotel. The Lyon St. pavement, in front of the Auditorium, has been dug up, and several pieces of construction equipment occupy the area. At the left is a portion of the Grand River and the Richard Gillette pedestrian bridge
|Title||Overhead View of George Welsh Civic Auditorium|
Title by cataloger. The Civic Auditorium opened in January of 1933, a Great Depression project promoted by then City Manager George W. Welsh. It was renamed for Welsh in 1975, shortly after his death. The expansion of DeVos Place Convention Center resulted in the July 2003 implosion of the original auditorium, but the new structure integrated the front facade and lobby of the auditorium as part of the Steelcase Ballroom in February 2005.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids MI|