William Haldane House
The three story William Haldane house, located on the southeast corner of Ottawa and Pearl, is faced with brick, a few windows have shutters at the sides, a striped awning covers the entry as well as one window above it, and a bootmaker's sign hangs to the left of the entrance. The sidewalk at the left of the house appears to be of wooden planks. The two-ton fire bell installed in 1878 can be seen in the 208 ft. wooden tower behind the house just above the roof. An addition was added to the fire alarm tower for experimental street lighting using arc lights.
|Title||William Haldane House|
Title by cataloger. William Haldane built the brick gothic cottage in 1850 at the southeast corner of Pearl and Ottawa. He was the city's the first cabinetmaker, and his shop, located on part of this lot in 1835, produced the first furniture made in Grand Rapids. It developed into the Nelson Matter Furniture Co. The larger window under the central gable was the original front door. Sometime after 1865 the street was lowered and the one story front addition was added. The house was purchased by the city and used as quarters for justices and water works offices until the city hall was completed in 1888. The house was torn down in 1890 and became the site of the Michigan Trust Building.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Collection||Coll. #33-12-48, History & Special Collections Dept., Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI.
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|