Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo Stagecoach
In the background is the Plainwell Halfway House on the Kalamazoo Plank Road. Four horses pull the stagecoach loaded with passengers, those on top of the coach in Civil War uniforms. Note 'Kalamazoo' printed above the door of the coach, and the larger wheels at the rear. The coach is the type known as the Concord coach.
|Title||Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo Stagecoach|
Title by cataloger. The Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo Plank Road, completed in 1855, operated for thirteen years, and on some days there were as many as eight coaches traveling each way. The railroad was responsible for its demise.
|Location In Photo||Plainwell MI|
|Collection||Coll. #33-10-24, Neg.# 1896, History & Special Collections Dept., Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|