Bridge St. Bridge, Looking up Michigan St. Hill
Jack Ropoleski - 1979
The concrete arched supports for the bridge have been completed connecting Bridge St. on the west side of the Grand River with Michigan St. on the east side. The smaller building at the far left is the Post Office and just beyond is the Olds Manor, the former Rowe Hotel. Orange and white barriers prevent traffic from approaching the construction site.
|Title||Bridge St. Bridge, Looking up Michigan St. Hill|
Title from image. The Bridge St. Bridge, the first for vehicles across the Grand River, was a timber and plank construction on a stone foundation built in 1845. A second bridge was built in 1852 but burned six years later when a new bridge was constructed. A wrought iron bridge was built in 1884, replaced in 1906 by a concrete bridge and lasted until 1979.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|