Grand Rapids 1831
Working around the drawing clockwise: the single cabin on the hill between the trees belonged to Chief Noonday; the collection of houses on the far side of the river is the mission; the three buildings at "three o'clock" are Louis Campau's trading post; an Indian wigwam, shelter, and canoe in the foreground; and island #1 is "nine o'clock." Indian canoes are on the river and women appear to be washing clothes near the wigwam. Areas on both sides of the river have been fenced.
|Title||Grand Rapids 1831|
Title by cataloger. This sketch was made in 1831 by one of the Baptist missionaries. In 1841 Louis Campau would obtain a land patent for islands #1 and #2.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Collection||Photo Coll. 54, Grand Rapids History and Special Collections, Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids Public Library, Main Branch|