loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

Carmelite Cell

Carmelite Cell


A photo taken during the 1941 open house of the new Carmelite monastery at 1256 Walker Avenue. Note the austere conditions that the nuns willingly live under. A small single bed, covered by a simple spread with a wooden cross resting on the pillow, stands in the corner with a straight-backed wooden chair next to it. The floor is patterned linoleum tiles.


Full Details

TitleCarmelite Cell

Title by contributor. Architect Joseph Snow designed the floor to be linoleum instead of cement when he discovered that the nuns rarely use chairs, generally preferring to sit on the ground. Originally published in Marguerite Kern’s article “World of Peace is Seen by Visitors at Convent” in the Grand Rapids Herald.

Location In PhotoGrand Rapids, MI
CollectionCollection #125, Robinson Photo Collection, Carmelite Open House, Negative # H002584A; History & Special Collections Dept.

Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI

InstitutionGrand Rapids Public Library
Physical Storage LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC