In the distance, on the right side of the photo, a trestle table holds various forms of pottery. Barely visible at the far right, and in the middle, is a sign advertising 'Pottery.' The taller building in the center probably houses the area where the pottery is made. One of the houses probably belongs to John and Valeria Lipczynski, owners of the pottery works. Several adults are pictured as well as many children who seem to be aware of the photographer.
The Lipczynski Pottery business was located at 515 East Bridge St. (Michigan St.) at the corner of East Road, (Eastern Ave.) The area was called the Brickyard (cegielnia, in Polish) because of its proximity to the huge brick-kiln installation in the area south of Michigan St., between Grand and Fuller. The Lipczynski name is found with various spellings which include Lipginski and Lipgynski. Both Valeria and Waleria, the spelling of the name in Polish, were used by Mrs. Lypgynski.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Collection||Grand Rapids Public Museum|
This image was reproduced with permission from the Grand Rapids Public Museum. Photographs may not be reused without permission and must credit the "Collections of the Grand Rapids Public Museum." For rights and reproduction information contact: Grand Rapids Public Museum, Collections Department, 272 Pearl Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504: Phone 616-929-1809.
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Museum|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|