loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

Demolition of Bridge St. Wrought Iron Bridge

Demolition of Bridge St. Wrought Iron Bridge

1905 ca

The wrought iron bridge, opened in 1884, was replaced by a concrete bridge in 1906. This view looks toward the west bank of the Grand River, and in the foreground is a temporary bridge. At the right of the photo is the firm of Adams & Hart advertising engines, carriages, and bicycles plus other items, and the Star Mills Co. is located just south of the bridge. The West Side Iron Works can be seen as well as the steeple of the Swedish Bethlehem Lutheran Church. The steeple at the right is where St. John's Lutheran Church once stood.


Full Details

TitleDemolition of Bridge St. Wrought Iron Bridge
Date1905 ca

Title by cataloger.
Date of the photograph determined by the opening the the concrete bridge in 1906.
Adams & Hart were manufacturers of the Wolverine Bicycle.

Location In PhotoGrand Rapids, MI
CollectionColl. #33,, History & Special Collections Dept., Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library

Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI

InstitutionGrand Rapids Public Library
Physical Storage LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC