Turner Street School, Before the Fire
Turner School, built in 1886 of brick with a stone foundation, stood at the corner of Turner and 11th St. until it was demolished for the construction of the north/south freeway during the 1960s urban renewal project. The two-story building has an ornate roof, decorated dormers with mullioned windows, and a bell tower. Steps lead up to the entry with three doors which is covered by a shallow roof.
|Title||Turner Street School, Before the Fire|
Title by cataloger. Photograph is from Grand Rapids Illustrated, published by Ernest B. Fisher of Grand Rapids in 1888. The photographer is unknown.
|Location In Photo||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Collection||Grand Rapids Illustrated Coll. #91-1-5-40, History & Special Collections Dept.|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI. The 'Horribles' were also part of the July 4, 1876 Centennial Celebration, and more can be learned about them in the Photo Essay about the Centennial Celebration.
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Library|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids, MI|