East Leonard St. School
The illustration of the first E. Leonard St. school depicts a two-story building with a belfry for the school bell. Steps from the street lead to the schoolhouse door, and two large trees appear on either side of the school.
|Title||East Leonard St. School|
Title by cataloger. The school, built in 1860, was part of District No. 6, the Coldbrook District, which joined with Districts Nos. 1 and 2 to form the Grand Rapids Board of Education in 1871. An extensive article about the early school in the Grand Rapids Democrat, 9/30/1894, pg. 12, is available on microfilm at the Grand Rapids Public Library.