loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...



A true nickelodeon, this small motion picture house was at the site of what was originally the Grand (or Redmond's) Opera House, built in 1882. The name appears as the Olympic in the 1909 city directory and then as the Garrick, as it is listed in the city directories from 1910 through 1912. The Hub Clothing Co. took over much of the building. As the Princess, the theater was in operation only in 1914 and 1915. Doyle and Davis speculate that the ownership at that time might have been the same as that of the Empress, since they had similar names. (Old # 121 Canal.)

Full Details

Address337-41 Monroe AVE NW 49503
CreatorFather Dennis Morrow
Also Known AsGarrick, Olympic

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC