loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...



The Park Theater, built about 1932 and also known as the North Park, ended movie operations in the mid-1950's. For many years its location was given in newspaper ads as “2 blocks north of the Soldiers' Home.” As a theater, it had a small 2-line marquee and a rather standard dark brown and cream trim. Entrance to the theater was in the right half of the building as seen in the photo, with the lobby running straight along the east side of the building; patrons turned left and went into the auditorium facing west. Llewellyn (Lew) M. and Maude G. Struik, brother and sister, of 728 Fountain N.E., were the owners and operators of the theater. It was converted into two store spaces with apartments overhead. Its legal description is: the E80' of Lot 46 & the E80' of the S30' of Lot 45, North Park Place Addition. In 1972 the owners were M/M John Bursma of O-11621 Eighth Avenue (phone 677-1032), who were selling to retire. The asking price was $49,500, although the assessed valuation was only $12,500. At that time a laundromat and a restaurant occupied the building, and there was a new roof. Heat was gas, with forced air. There were toilets and lavatories, off-street parking, and a small garage. Doug Fricano and Fricano's Pizza occupied the east half of the structure from November 18, 1996, until bought out by Giuseppe's Pizza in August, 2006.

Full Details

Address433 North Park ST NE 49505
CreatorFather Dennis Morrow
Also Known AsNorth Park
Locationlocation on map

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC