Fairmount Square Historic District
The former D. A. Blodgett Home for Children is located in the Fairmount Square Historic District of Grand Rapids. This district is an intact grouping of architecturally significant residential, institutional and commercial structures built between 1860 and 1940. This group displays the variety of styles and types of architectural ornamentation popular during this period. Between 1890 and 1910 the population of Grand Rapids nearly doubled—from 60, 278 to 112,571. The majority of the houses in Fairmount Square were constructed during this time to accommodate the city’s rapidly expanding population. The D. A. Blodgett building is the most architecturally significant building in this historic district.