Population Pushes School Construction Again
After World War II as the baby-boom generation reached school-age another building boom occurred for Grand Rapids Public Schools. Hall St. School benefited during construction periods of both the late 1800s and the mid-1900s as did some others. From 1953-1961 fifteen new schools were built or replaced older existing schools:
1953 Madison Park (replaced 1888 school)
1953 Mulick Park
1954 Kent Hills
1954 Palmer (replaced 1893 school)
1954 Riverside (formerly Fairmount)
1956 Hall (replace 1892 school)
1956 Riverside Jr.
1957 Campau Park
1957 E. Leonard
1960 Westwood Hills
1961 Buchanan (replaced 1896 school)
For more information on the GR Public Schools see "Schools" in the Vertical File Collection at the Grand Rapids History and Special Collections Department of the Grand Rapids Public Library.