GRHC - 2008
The arch of the main entrance of the school features American Indian sculptures and motifs. The decorative columns on the main level are repeated between the windows of the second level. In the center, over the doors, is a sculpture of an Indian head in profile. The Indian theme reflected the name of the area and the school, Ottawa Hills.
|Title||Iroquois Middle School - Main Entrance, Detail|
|Current Address||1050 Iroquois Dr. SE|
|Architect||Henry H. Turner|
|Original Owner||Grand Rapids Public Schools|
|Original Use||Public school|
Title by cataloger.
The original entrance had windows above the doors and in the semi-circular arch. See photos in the archive that show the architectural details of the entrance.
Iroquois Middle School, the original Ottawa Hills High School, closed in 2005. In December of 2008 it was purchased by the Grand Rapids Christian Schools. Whether the building will be remodeled and used as a consolidated elementary school or demolished has not been determined.
The building was demolished in 2009.