GRHC - 2008
This panorama of the south side of the school shows the middle school at the left and the elementary school at the right. Notice the unusual bay on the 1st and 2nd levels on the right side of the building. The playground has several types of equipment.
|Title||Iroquois Middle School - South Side, Fisk Street|
|Current Address||1050 Iroquois Dr. SE|
|Architect||Henry H. Turner|
|Original Owner||Grand Rapids Public Schools|
|Original Use||Public school|
Title by Cataloger:
Excerpted from A Brief History of Ottawa Hills High School, 1925-1957, By Mable C. Tenhaaf - English Teacher
In September, 1925, the doors of Ottawa Hills High School opened to about 650 students and thirty teachers under the direction of the first principal, Henry D. MacNaughton. Many of the teachers came from Strong Junior High School, where they had taught with Mr. MacNaughton. The Students came primarily from Central and South High Schools. Grades 7-1 to 10-2 were included.
In 1929 two large home rooms and six classrooms were added above the shops. The elementary wing was added in 1931."
Iroquois Middle School, the original Ottawa Hills High School, closed in 2005. In December of 2008 it was purchased by the Grand Rapids Christian Schools. Whether the building will be remodeled and used as a consolidated elementary school or demolished has not been determined.
The building was demolished in 2009.