The corner of the city hall closest to the camera is part of the clock tower, and the large arch of the entrance can just be seen at the right. The view looks east up Lyon St. toward Division Ave. where the original Swedenborgian Church stands. Many workmen and construction material are visible on the ground and on the top of the construction.
|Title||Construction of City Hall|
|Current Address||Lyon and Ottawa|
|Pre 1912 Address||Lyon and Ottawa|
|Architect||Elijah E. Myers|
|Contractor||W.D. Richardson, Springfield, IL|
|Original Owner||City of Grand Rapids|
|Original Use||City government|
|Information Source||History of the City of Grand Rapids by Albert Baxter|
Title by cataloger.
The house on the crest of the hill, about one-third of the way from the left, belonged to Henry R. Williams, the first mayor of Grand Rapids. It is also easily identified in the Sarah Nelson painting on our Home Page, the second house from the left on the crest of the hill. See also the photo, Destruction of City Hall, in the archive.
|Collection||GRPL Photo Coll. #54-10-25, Neg # 3430, Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI