The small triangular window above the clock is where smoke inspector, Louis C. Towner, built his observation platform. The stone gothic-style tower houses a clock with Roman numerals. A screened arch (possibly to discourage pigeons) can be seen on two sides below the clock. Decorative round pinnacles decorate the four corners.
|Title||City Hall Clock Tower|
|Current Address||Lyon and Ottawa|
|Pre 1912 Address||Lyon and Ottawa|
|Architect||Elijah E. Myers|
|Contractor||W.D. Richardson, Springfield, IL|
|Original Owner||City of Grand Rapids|
|Original Use||City government|
|Information Source||History of the City of Grand Rapids by Albert Baxter|
Title by cataloger.
|Collection||GR Chamber of Commerce Coll., Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI