The former Evening Press building, with its original title still visible just beneath the cornice, was designed by famous Detroit architect, Albert Kahn, in the Beaux Art style. This photograph was taken just before the building was razed in early 1969. The first floor of the addition at the far right of the picture, not part of the original building, was added in 1934-5 when the old Vendome Hotel building was demolished. The date of the addition of the 2nd and 3rd stories is unknown. The former Grand Rapids Herald stood to the west of the Press on Fulton, and was already undergoing demolition at the time this photo was taken from Veterans' Park.
|Title||Grand Rapids Press Building|
|Pre 1912 Address||SW corner of E. Fulton and Sheldon|
|Architect||Albert Kahn, Detroit; Williamson & Crow, Grand Rapids, supervising architects|
|Contractor||John McNabb Co.|
|Original Owner||Booth Newspapers|
|Original Use||Newspaper plant and offices|
Capitol Wrecking secured demolition permits, 2892 & 2893, for both the Press and Herald buildings on November 26, 1968.
|Collection||Coll. 33-10-17, History & Special Collections Dept., Grand Rapids Public Library|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI