Engine House #11 faces Chester St. at the Corner of Diamond Ave. The two story brick building has two bays, and housing for firefighters occupies the second floor.
|Title||Engine House No. 11|
|Current Address||SE corner Chester St. and Diamond Ave SE|
|Pre 1912 Address||SE corner Chester St. and Diamond Ave SE|
|Architect||Williamson & Crowe|
|Contractor||Hayden & Appleyard|
|Original Owner||Board of Police and Fire Commissioners|
|Original Use||Engine House|
|Information Source||Architect - GR Press 11/15/1902, pg. 11|
Originally referred to as Steam Engine and Hose Wagon No. 11, the Chester Street Fire Station, as it is now known, is the oldest active fire station in the Grand Rapids Fire Department.
Richardsonian Romanesque is the architectural style of this very well-designed public building. Design characteristers are: asymetrical massing; a decorative wall texture created by the brickwork, varigated on the first floor and smooth on the second; the row of wide, round-arch (Romanesque) windows, as well as the double-hung windows with (not quite) transom windows above. Although the dormer is quite typical, the wide, over-hanging eaves of the roof give it an almost Prairie style look.
Thank you to Rebecca Smith-Hoffman of Past Perfect Inc. for the architectural description.