The two-story frame schoolhouse, with a center entry, has two wings on either side of the original center section. A chimney is visible on the right, and there is probably another behind the tree.
|Title||South Ionia St. School|
|Current Address||No longer exists|
|Pre 1912 Address||Ionia and Franklin|
|Architect||W. G. Robinson, 1884 refitting|
|Contractor||Berend DeGraff 1875; John Olson 1884 refitting|
|Date Constructed||1875; 1884 additions|
|Original Owner||Grand Rapids Public Schools|
|Original Use||School Building|
|Information Source||Board of Education|
The original school, a two-story, 4 room wooden building, 32 X 70 ft., above a brick basement, was constructed in 1875 on Spring St. (Commerce) behind the South Division St. Primary School, to accommodate the overflow of students. When the new school was built in 1884 the Spring St. building was moved and became the S. Ionia St. School. At that time the two wings were added to the original building.