The front of the three-story Union School has a small porch with several schoolboys sitting on its roof. A crowd of school children are on the lawn and steps of the building. The belfry houses the school bell.
|Title||West Side School: District No. 2|
|Pre 1912 Address||Turner and Broadway|
|Original Owner||West Side School, District No. 2|
|Original Use||School Building|
The Daily Enquirer noted in December of 1855 that the school would accomodate 400 scholars. However, Baxter in his 1891 History of Grand Rapids noted that it accomocated 464 pupils in rooms that had low ceilings and were lighted by small windows. The third floor of the building, originally used as an armory or drill room by the militiamen, was converted to school use when the number of pupils increased.