The school, a frame building supported on a brick basement, is surrounded by primary schoolchildren. Two chimneys indicate two stoves, so possibly a two-room school. The building appears to have two entrances, which would be separate doors for boys and girls, a common school feature at the time.
|Title||Ward School No. 1|
|Pre 1912 Address||S. Division and Bartlett|
|Original Owner||Grand Rapids, District No. 1|
|Original Use||Primary School|
Ward School No. 1 (because it was located in Ward 1), one of four ward schools constructed mid-1800s,. It later became Primary School No.2, as it was the second primary school built in the city. Eventually it was known as S. Division St. School. The photo shows the building sometime after 1865 when basement classrooms were added to the building.