This view looking west down brick-paved Monroe toward the Pantlind Hotel in the distance shows the boulevard lights that were installed the downtown area in 1912, and by 1926 were being replaced by various styles. Probably one of them, a single globe lamp, can be seen on the SW corner. A traffic signal is suspended over the intersection where the old arc street light used to hang, and a policeman directs traffic beneath it. Many 1920s cars are on the street or parked on Monroe, but the streetcar tracks are still in use. Some newer buildings have been added to the cityscape, and advertising signage along Monroe is larger and extends over the sidewalk. Awnings are still in use at street level, but fewer on the upper floors. There is a triangular highway sign for M16 at the left on a utility pole. Peck's Drug Store still occupies the NW corner, farther down Monroe on the left is the sign for Herpolshimer's Dept. Store.
|Title||Monroe Ave. at Division Ave., 1928|
|Current Address||Monroe and Division Ave.|
Title by cataloger
|Collection||Morris Photo Coll. #43, Grand Rapids History & Special Collections|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI