The view looks west toward the Pantlind Hotel where a plume of industrial smoke floats overhead. The building that rises above the others between Pecks' and the Pantlind Hotel is the Morton House. The street at the corner of Monroe and Division has not been paved although the streetcar tracks are visible. Hanging in the left center of the photo is one of the arc style street lights that were installed in the 1880s. Several telephone poles line the street, and there is a new pole at the right that has not yet been wired. Various styles of horse-drawn carriages, wagons, and carts are on the streets. A large advertising sign adorns the brick wall on the east side of the Pecks' Bros. Drug Store, and Dickinson Drugs is across Division on the far right. Many buildings have lightning rods installed on the top. Most stores on Monroe Ave. have awnings at street level unfurled, as well as on windows above.
|Title||Monroe Ave. at Division Ave., 1888|
|Current Address||Monroe and Division Ave.|
Title by cataloger
|Collection||Grand Rapids Illustrated Coll., #91, Grand Rapids History & Special Collections|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI