loading background
view

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

History Grand Rapids by the Grand Rapids Historical Commission


The Morton House at Monroe and Ionia

mouse over to zoom

The Morton House at Monroe and Ionia

1896

The Morton House, a multi-storied hotel at the corner of Monroe and Ionia, has shops at street level, all with their awnings unfurled. At the corner the awning of White & White Druggists advertises that they are open all night, sell surgical instruments as well as soda water and Key West imported cigars. A large blackboard on the side of the building possibly lists items for sale. Horses and carriages line Ionia Ave. Most of the hotel's windows have individual awnings, and the top floor shows three wrought iron balconies with awnings over them. A street light of the arc variety hangs over the intersection just above the head of the first horse and carriage and to the right of the White & White awning. The iron poles on the corners a part of the lighting system also. A fire hydrant is just in front of the first horse, and right on the corner is a mail box. Several streetcar tracks run on Monroe, and several telephone poles are visible on both Monroe and Ionia. A bicycle is parked at the curb in front the the druggist, and several pedestrians, some with umbrellas providing shade from the sun, are on the sidewalk.

Subjects

Full Details

TitleThe Morton House at Monroe and Ionia
Date1896
Current AddressMonroe and Ionia NW
NeighborhoodDowntown
Notes

Title by cataloger

CollectionGrand Rapids Illustrated Coll., #91, Grand Rapids History & Special Collections
Rights

Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI

Locationlocation on map


site by GRCMC