The three story red brick building in Neoclassical style has four white pillars centrally positioned. A porch runs across the front of the building with access by a double staircase. An inscription on the upper face of the building reads, "Home for Children Erected A.D. 1908."
|Title||D. A. Blodgett Home for Children, Postcard|
|Current Address||920 Cherry St. SE|
|Pre 1912 Address||662 Cherry St. SE|
|Architect||Asbury W. Buckley, Chicago, IL|
|Contractor||N. J. Westra, Grand Rapids|
|Original Owner||Children's Home Society|
|Neighborhood||Fairmount Square District|
|Information Source||ICCF; Michigan Tradesman, September 16, 1908, page 2|
The left portion of the upper face that is not visible on the postcard has the inscription, "D. A. Blodgett" followed by the central inscription, "Home for Children." The building had been modified with additions which were removed in 2007. The building, restored to its original beauty, reopened in the fall of 2007.
|Collection||Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Grand Rapids Public Library|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI