loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

Davenport Institute, Construction

Davenport Institute, Construction

Davenport-McLachlan Institute - 1948

The sign at the left side of the building identifies the two-story construction as the future home of the Davenport-McLachlan Institute. It indicates that current classes were being conducted at 15 Fountain NW while the new building was being built. Covered walkways on both Division Ave. and E. Fulton St. protect pedestrians. The Grand Rapids Herald Building is at the far left, and extends to the alley, which runs behind both the Herald and the new construction. A truck on E. Fulton approaches the intersection of Division from the east.


Full Details

TitleDavenport Institute, Construction
CreatorDavenport-McLachlan Institute
Current Address1 E. Fulton St.
Pre 1912 AddressCorner E. Fulton & S. Division
ArchitectWilfred P. McLaughlin
ContractorMacWhirter Engineering and Construction Co.
Date Constructed1948
Original OwnerM. E. Davenport
Original UseDavenport Institute and retail space

Title by cataloger. Pierre Lindhout was reported as the architect of the building in the Central City Survey. Wilfred P. McLaughlin is noted as the architect in the June 24, 1947 Grand Rapids Herald, where he is quoted about the building to be built. It appears from the article that the building was originally intended to be six stories. Research by Heather Edwards, Grand Rapids Public Library, uncovered the misidentification.

Between 1948 and 1955, McLachlan was dropped from the name of the school, which became Davenport Institute.

CollectionDavenport University Archives

Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from the Davenport University Archives, Grand Rapids, MI.

Locationlocation on map

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC