Davenport-McLachlan Institute - 1948
The sign at the left side of the building identifies the two-story construction as the future home of the Davenport-McLachlan Institute. It indicates that current classes were being conducted at 15 Fountain NW while the new building was being built. Covered walkways on both Division Ave. and E. Fulton St. protect pedestrians. The Grand Rapids Herald Building is at the far left, and extends to the alley, which runs behind both the Herald and the new construction. A truck on E. Fulton approaches the intersection of Division from the east.
|Title||Davenport Institute, Construction|
|Current Address||1 E. Fulton St.|
|Pre 1912 Address||Corner E. Fulton & S. Division|
|Architect||Wilfred P. McLaughlin|
|Contractor||MacWhirter Engineering and Construction Co.|
|Original Owner||M. E. Davenport|
|Original Use||Davenport Institute and retail space|
Title by cataloger. Pierre Lindhout was reported as the architect of the building in the Central City Survey. Wilfred P. McLaughlin is noted as the architect in the June 24, 1947 Grand Rapids Herald, where he is quoted about the building to be built. It appears from the article that the building was originally intended to be six stories. Research by Heather Edwards, Grand Rapids Public Library, uncovered the misidentification.
Between 1948 and 1955, McLachlan was dropped from the name of the school, which became Davenport Institute.
|Collection||Davenport University Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from the Davenport University Archives, Grand Rapids, MI.