Robinson Studio - 1936
This view of the Pantlind Hotel looks to the southwest from the corner of Monroe and Lyon; that corner of the building was occupied by Kent State Bank, the left corner of the hotel at Monroe and Pearl housed the Old National Bank, and those two banks merged to form the Old Kent Bank, eventually purchased by 5th/3rd Bank. The arched entrance flanked by pillars at the main entrance on Monroe reflects the Beaux Art style of architecture, as do the tall arched windows at street level. The actual foot print of the original building is a reflection of both the Italian Renaissance and the Beaux Arts, with its blocky shape, broken by the set-back in the middle of the front side, and its use of a platform of two stories upon which the rest of the building sits, and topped off by a wedding cake swirl of ornament. In 1923 a 189 room addition, visible in the photo, was added to the hotel on the Lyon Street side. The building behind the hotel at the far right is the Fine Arts Building at the corner of Lyon and Campau, which was added to the Pantlind at the time of the Amway Grand Plaza reworking. The building at the far left was the Clock-Tower Building, so called because of the large clock in the tower at the top.