The view looks north across the construction site and along Ionia Ave. At the far right is the Ashton Building, formerly the Pythian Temple, and to its left the Klingman Furniture Building. The small building to its left was the Bell Telephone Building, and next to it the back of the Manufacturers Building, current home of Kendall College of Art and Design. The "Manufacturer's" name can still be seen over the door on the Division Ave. side of the building. The information at the bottom of the photo mentions the Kent State Bank, later becoming Old Kent Bank, which also occupied the building for many years.
View additional information about these subjects on our Furniture City History site.
|Title||Morton Hotel Construction|
|Current Address||NW corner Monroe Center and Ionia|
|Pre 1912 Address||NW corner Monroe and Ionia|
|Architect||William Holabird and Martin Roche of Chicago|
|Contractor||Owen, Ames, Kimball|
|Original Owner||J. Boyd Pantlind|
Title from document. The Morton Hotel, or Morton House as it was sometimes named, no longer serves as a hotel. The building has been converted to the Morton House apartments. The original Morton House, constructed by Israel Smith and George Morton, was built shortly after the fire of 1872. However, a hotel, erected by Hiram Hinsdill, stood on this site as early as 1835.
|Collection||Grand Rapids Public Museum|
This image was reproduced with permission from the Grand Rapid Public Museum. Photographs may not be reused without the permission of the Public Museum and must credit the “Collections of the Grand Rapids Public Museum."