Jack Ropoleski - 2003
The Waldron Building, located on east side of Ionia Ave. SW across the street from Union Station, between Weston and Oakes, was built of red brick. A small bay-window on the second level sits over the entrance, which is a rectangular arch outlined with irregular shapes of what appears to be red sandstone. An oval window on the third floor is surrounded by a decorative design that includes two dragons at the top. The design is capped by the name Waldron. Perhaps the gargoyles sitting at the top of the roof on the right, not part of the original architecture, were inspired by the dragons.
|Current Address||58 Ionia Ave. SW|
|Pre 1912 Address||52-54 S. Ionia|
|Architect||A. W. Rush|
|Original Owner||Lewis Waldron|
|Original Use||As early as 1898 the Wellington Hotel occupied the Waldron Building.|
Title by cataloger. The building has served as a hotel and restaurant under many proprietors over the years. In the mid-1920s, under the ownership of Andrew and Maude Williams, a black family from Chicago, it began its long association with the African American population of the city during the years of racial segregation. Stanley Barnett, an African American entrepreneur, owned the building 1939 to 1966, and during this time it was the scene of jazz music in Grand Rapids.