The Grand Rapids Brewing Company, pictured rather more grandly than its actual building, was constructed at the corner of East Bridge, (Michigan St.) and Ionia in the 1890s. The large smokestack drew the attention of the city smoke inspector in the early 1900s for its illegal smoke emissions--see the bottom of the page. Horse-drawn wagons were used to move the large barrels of beer.
|Title||Grand Rapids Brewing Co.|
|Pre 1912 Address||Corner of E. Bridge (Michigan St.) and Ionia|
|Architect||Lewis Lehle, Chicago|
|Contractor||Hauser Owen Ames Co.|
|Original Owner||Grand Rapids Brewing|
|Information Source||Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids Herald|
Title from document, the R.L. Polk & Co.'s Illustrated Historical Atlas of Grand Rapids and Kent County Michigan, 1894. R.L. Polk & Co., Publishers, 34 Monroe Street, Grand Rapids, Michigan, copyright 1893. Six former brewers, Kusterer Brewing, Tusch Bros., George W. Brandt, Veit & Rathman, Adolph Goetz, and Frey Bros., consolidated and formed The Grand Rapids Brewing Company in December 1892; the cornerstone of the building was laid August 7, 1895. Lewis Lehle of Chicago was a nationally know architect specializing in brewery buildings. He also designed buildings for the Blatz and Schlitz breweries, among many others.
|Collection||Thomas R. Dilley|