The Darwin Cody house was built east of the George R. Allen house, seen at the far left of the photo. The stately Victorian Italianate home, a style identified by the arched corbels over the windows and the frieze and brackets under the eaves, as well at the carved wooden posts supporting the roof of the front entrance. The family occupying the rounded porch on the west side of the house seems quite aware of the photographer. Since the house faces south, several awnings at the windows and on the porch provide protection. A delicate wrought iron fence encloses the front yard, and a stone at the curb displays the name "Cody".
|Title||Darwin D. Cody Home|
|Pre 1912 Address||47 Park|
|Date Constructed||ca 1880|
|Original Owner||Darwin D. Cody|
Title by cataloger. Mr. Cody also built the Cody Hotel at the SW corner of Division and Fulton. He was a cousin of Col. William F. Cody, better know as "Buffalo Bill", who visited in the home many times. The Cody home was one of the houses on Park St. (later Library Plaza and now Library St. NE) that was demolished in 1902 to be replaced by the Ryerson Library/Grand Rapids Public Library.
|Collection||Coll. #33-12-48, History & Special Collections Dept., Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI