Louis C. Towner - 1911
The scene looks southwest down Fulton St. with the Grand River in the distance where several factories and their smokestacks are visible on the West Side. In the foreground, with its 125 ft. smokestack and tall arched windows, is the Edison Light Plant. The building behind it, at Fulton and Market, is the Edison Steam Heating Plant. The Bennett Fuel and Ice Co. is located at the southeast corner of Fulton and Ottawa, seen in the lower left. At the far right is the Judson Grocer Co. at the corner of Fulton and Market. It's not easy to see, but the construction forms for the west side flood wall are in place along the river. The two pedestrians are crossing Ottawa Ave.
|Title||Edison Light and Fuel Co.|
|Creator||Louis C. Towner|
|Current Address||156 W. Fulton|
|Original Owner||Grand Rapids Edison Light and Fuel Gas Co.|
|Original Use||Provide electrical power to buildings, stores, and factories.|
The first Edison Plant was built in 1888 at the corner of Fulton and Ottawa. The steam heating plant was added in 1897. The Judson Grocery building, which stood empty for many years, has been renovated and houses the B.O.B. (Big Old Building).
|Collection||Grand Rapids City Archives|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids City Archives located at the Community Archives and Research Center (CARC), Grand Rapids, MI