loading background

Grand Rapids in 1856

Scene of early Grand Rapids viewed from the...

Demolition of Iroquois Middle School , Salvaging the Details

Demolition of Iroquois Middle School , Salvaging the Details

GRHC - 2009

A trailer located at the site houses the pieces of architectural detail salvaged from the building. In the foreground columns are stacked on wooden racks with styrofoam placed between. Other pieces can be seen in the background.


Full Details

TitleDemolition of Iroquois Middle School , Salvaging the Details
Current Address1050 Iroquois Dr. SE
ArchitectHenry H. Turner
Date Constructed1924-25
Original OwnerGrand Rapids Public Schools
Original UsePublic school
NeighborhoodOttawa Hills

Title by cataloger.
Excerpted from A Brief History of Ottawa Hills High School, 1925-1957, By Mable C. Tenhaaf - English Teacher. "To carry out the Indian theme suggested by the name of the school, designs taken from Indian pottery, blankets, and rugs were used in a border about the main entrance, and directly above the door was an Indian head, which was later adopted as the symbol of the school."
Every salvaged piece in the trailer is photographed and cataloged before being placed on racks. At the back of the trailer, out of sight, is the fishpond from the Ottawa Hills Elementary School Kindergarten room. It will be installed in the entrance of the new school.
Iroquois Middle School, the original Ottawa Hills High School, closed in 2005. In December of 2008 it was purchased by the Grand Rapids Christian Schools.

Locationlocation on map

Like Us on Facebook
site by GRCMC